Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Navy...Journalism?

Hello again! I come to you with great news. I have become very interested in joining the United States Navy as a journalist/news reporter. I feel that this will be a very fun,challenging, lifelong, and interesting career choice as i feel it fits me very well and I will always have a job. Especially a job that I like.

I am lucky enough to have landed into a shadow program at the most elite non- Department of Defense school for mass media in the country. That school would be my very own Syracuse University. I spoke with the director of the university's public communications school, S.I. Newhouse School, and she has informed me that there are approximately 32 active service members in the program at SU. This includes all of the military branches and the United States Coast Guard.
I am fortunate enough to be grouped up with 3-4 sailors who have gone through all of the stages of the naval journalism schools, and they should be able to answer all of my gazillion questions that I have. I feel extremely honoured to be allowed to shadow these sailors, as they are the best of the best in the United States Navy. Oh crap, I just realized I typed the British version of thatword...that happens often.
This all will occur over February Break, which is the the third week in the month. I, my guidance counselor, and my global history teacher are all extremely excited for this. I am feel that I finally feel like I have a very legitimate, important, and fitting place in the future. Hopefully I will see that this is me...hopefully I will be very encouraged to join the Navy. Much like my brother.
Although I regret that my mother would have to have two children in the military, and I regret that Reese(next post is on him) will have to face this head on, I am ready for it. And I wouldn't choose any other branch of the United States Armed Forces.

I will be sure to touch base with you guys both before and after the shadow. Keep it classy.

Christopher

1 comment:

  1. Joining the military is an honourable thing to do on many, many levels, and now that you can serve without lying to get in or stay in, I'd say go for it. There is little downside, other than the fact there is little freedom to do your job your way, it's the Navy way or not at all. (I say this after fifteen years working for the military, not to discourage you at all.) With luck, we'll be pretty much done in Afghanistan by the time you'd be out of school, so the dangers are minimal (yes, there are Navy personnel in Afghanistan). A career in the military has many benefits, but one thing to look out for is job security, as the Pentagon is cutting it budget by gazillions of dollars over the next few years. Make sure you're in a rate that is something they can't do without! GO FOR IT! I note that is a sudden change from American History Education, but now is the time to explore the possibilities, and the US Navy is a GREAT branch to be a part of. Anyone who would shoot me off the deck of an aircraft carrier is OK in my book! (That's another story!)

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete